During August I tried something new. Instead of setting the alarm for 5:00 AM and jumping on the treadmill right away, I set the alarm for 5:30 and eased my way into a new morning routine.
I spent my first five minutes awake writing in a journal, capturing any dreams remembered or any thoughts already running through my mind. Then I went through a guided meditation using one of my mindfulness apps. While I have wanted to do that more often, I usually felt too rushed in the morning to dedicate a full 5 minutes (or longer!) to a practice. But with my new routine, I had the time built-in. I also had time to try some other mindfulness practices from the “box of mindfulness” a friend gifted me when I first chose my word for this year.
Ways I benefit from this new routine:
- My morning is calmer as I ease into the day
- My body aches and pains have time to rest and heal
- I feel more centered and less stressed out in the morning
- Meditation is getting easier
Things still on my mind as I decide how my routine will evolve next:
- Without my morning treadmill time, I’m not reaching my daily step goals
- I have a hard time motivating myself to workout after work
- Building in time for daily reflection and meditation is important to me
August also brought me a break from blogging as I participated in the annual August Break, created by Susannah Conway. I loved taking a picture a day (posting on Instagram) and reflecting on the daily word prompt. I missed blogging, but I appreciated an entire month dedicated to being more mindful everywhere. Mindfulness has become more of a habit as this year progresses!
- Do you have a focus word for this year?
- If so, how has it helped you?
- If not, might you consider one for this year or plan ahead for next year?