Hi blog! Hi readers! It feels like it’s been forever since I was here. In the last few weeks, I have not felt very mindful about anything other than my stress levels. But after an emotional week, I unwittingly did the best thing possible for myself. I booked my entire schedule today with back-to-back, individual meetings with all of the members of my department. This could have been a stressful day, as I had little free time all day as the door opened and closed to let in the next person every half hour. But it was exactly the day I needed.
This was a day full of one-on-one conversations about people’s strengths and goals for future growth. It was about leadership and learning and communication. It was about celebrations of big and small successes. It was a great day!
Sometimes we need these reminders:
- Face-to-face meetings with individuals are important.
- Closing the laptop and taking time to talk is valuable.
- Many people struggle to name their own strengths, or to celebrate their own successes.
- People appreciate being heard.
When we spend so much time working hard in the day-to-day tasks, we forget to take time to reflect on the big ideas. Building in time for reflection creates a powerful habit. I am grateful that my schedule today gave me exactly what I didn’t know I desperately needed, as a leader, a learner, and a colleague.
- How does your schedule support your needs as a leader or learner?
- What habits are you working to develop?
- If asked, what would you say your strengths are?