As I mentioned in my December reflections post, I participated in a photo reflection challenge created by Susannah Conway. Throughout this photo challenge, Susannah has become my reflection hero! She shared a mini journal, Unravelling the Year Ahead 2015, as a reflection tool on her blog. I met a friend at a local coffee shop for a relaxing Saturday afternoon of chatting, reflecting, and journaling, all to wrap up 2014 and prepare to unwrap 2015.
Part of the journal helps you select a word of the year. I’ve never selected a focus word before, so following Conway’s journal prompts was very helpful. Not only do you explore the successes and challenges of 2014, but you honor those who supported you (my supportive friends, family and work friends know who they are!) and those from whom you don’t get the support you need.
Some of my favorite prompts:
- What did you discover about yourself in 2014?
- When did fear hold you back?
- When did you practice bravery?
- List 3 challenges you had this year.
- If you lived and breathed your new word every day in 2015, what would be different for you?
After much writing and reflection, I selected mindfulness as my word for 2015.