Recently I’ve been spending more time writing in my own private journal. Throughout my entire life I have gone through phases where I journaled a lot, and then wouldn’t write for a year, and then would journal sporadically and then stop again. Lately, the time I spend journaling is meditative, peaceful, and often necessary to work through my own thoughts and reflections.
I came across a new-to-me blog, Marc and Angel Hack Life, in which they shared 20 journal prompts to start developing the habit. Prompt #2 was especially compelling because it included my word of 2020, grace. I like to check in on my word of the year, so this is a great way to journal, to check in, and to notice the good around me.
Train your mind to see the beauty hidden in everything. Your positivity – your graceful acceptance of life – is a choice. The happiness in your heart depends on the quality of your mental perspective.
What’s one thing you could be incredibly grateful for right now, if you wanted to be grateful?
Whenever I start a gratitude list, it’s easy to begin with family, friends, and health. These are generic, but true. I like to push myself to go deeper into each of these, and to notice the small things in life.
Today I am grateful for:
- Friends who I consider family, whose children are my nephews and who call me “Aunt Mamey” and who still couldn’t tell you what my real name is!
- A family member who is bringing another one of my nephews to come visit me (I am his “Tia Amy”) for a fun beach day in a few months!
- The time to stay late at work this afternoon so I could cross a number of items off my growing to-do list, feeling somewhat accomplished when I left.
- A day with no back pain, no knee pain (that means it won’t be raining tomorrow!), and no major pain at all!
- An e-book I had on hold at the library becoming available 5 days earlier than expected.
- The pink clouds that surrounded the sunrise I enjoyed on my drive in to work this morning.
What are you grateful for today? Where is your word of the year showing up for you?