All the cool kids love Snapchat.
But what does this have to do with mentor texts and writing? Well, some of the coolest features on Snapchat are the daily filters. Each day there are a new set of filters you can use on pictures, most famously on selfies. Some filters paint over your face to look slightly smoother and younger and prettier, while other make your head explode. One filter made me excited for my South African safari later this summer and another scared me with memories of the old “Bodies” exhibit.
I could see students using these filters as story starters for writing. Just look at all the pictures below. What do they make you think of?
- Fantasy stories about creatures with human and animal features
- Fantasy stories where humans turn into animals or flowers
- Biographies that highlight a person’s lifetime accomplishments as a saint, hero, or warrior
- A memoir about a trip to Hawaii
- Illustrated account of a vivid dream
- A poem about the love of a pet
- A cartoon or anime story inspired by a picture
Are you using Snapchat in your classroom?
How might these filters support students’ with independent writing?
How can Snapchat help inspire creativity?